South Dakota Unclaimed Property
It's possible that you could have some South Dakota unclaimed property waiting to be claimed. There were nearly 5000 claims paid out to residents of South Dakota of unclaimed property in the fiscal year of 2011 and the largest claim that South Dakota ever paid out was $300,000. Let us walk you through the steps to getting your money in your hand as quickly as possible.
Tutorial on Finding Your South Dakota Unclaimed Property
- Clicking here will allow you to start your search. Once on the Office of The State Treasurer South Dakota Unclaimed Property home page you'll read some interesting facts. Above those facts you'll see a link called "Search and Claim Unclaimed Property." Click on it.
- You'll enter your last name first and then your first name separated only by a space on not a comma. The city you live in is optional but if you have any unclaimed property in other cities it won't show and you'll miss it.
- Searching will bring up a list of names in blocks of 15. If there are more than 15 results you'll have to browse the other pages which you can navigate on the bottom of the list.
- If you find property that may be yours, click on the name. You can then view more information on the property as well as some questions that will help determine if you are eligible to claim it. At the top of the information of the property you'll find the button that says "Yes I Can Claim." Click it if it's your property.
- Enter your information in the field boxes provided. Some info is required and is indicated by the asterisks. Other info is not required. An email is recommended to enable you to be reached easily.
- The form must then be printed and signed. You also must print and sign the Affidavit of Distributory Responsibility which by signing means you agree that you own this property you are claiming. If you don't have access to a printer you can fill out a form requesting a form be sent to you in the mail or call (605) 773-3379.
- Mail the signed form and affidavit along with any documents necessary for you to prove ownership to:
Richard L. Sattgast, State Treasurer
Unclaimed Property Division
500 E Capitol Ave
Pierre, SD 57501-5070